Sunday, October 26, 2008

Potato Cheese Soup


from Norma T.

In large pot:
3 cups water
3 bouillion cubes (I use the knorr caldo con sabor de pollo cubes in the mexican aisle)
5 cups diced potatoes
1 cup diced celery (we like ours really little)
2 cup diced carrots (Usually a carrot cut into fourths and diced)
1/2 cup finely diced onions or 1 Tbsp dry minced onions if you don't have an onion
1 clove garlic, pressed through a garlic press

In separate medium pot:
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
4 cups milk
15 oz jar cheese whiz (do not use velveeta instead) - (I use a regular 8oz jar if I'm doing a half batch of soup)

Over medium-low heat, melt the butter (I cut mine up to help it melt faster). In a separate bowl, mix flour and milk together. Whisk until flour is dissolved. Pour into melted butter. Stir often. Add in cheese whiz. Mix well and let it slowly boil and slightly thicken while stirring very often to keep it smooth. (The whole key for smooth sauce/pancakes/or anything is this whisk from Pampered Chef. It's only $3 or $4. I have 3 and I could use 3 more!)
Meanwhile, add 3 cups water and bouillon cubes to a pot and bring to a boil. Add vegetables and cook until tender.Add cheese mixture and stir with spoon.Serve with rolls or breadsticks. We like to sprinkle crumbled bacon on top in each individual bowls.

This isn't exactly "healthy" soup. But it sure tastes good. And it is great warmed up the next day. It is an easy one to make when you have to take a meal to someone as well. I prefer to warm mine up at 50% power when I reheat it.