Sunday, October 30, 2016

Pumpkin Pie Tarts

I found the recipe for these tarts from a facebook post then another similar one on pinterest. However, I did not care for cool whip in the recipe and the cream cheese ratio was off. So I have adapted the recipe to my liking and had a much better texture and flavor in my opinion. Also, this recipe was originally a "fruit dip." However, felt that it was perfect for a tart with a light phyllo cup crust. The result is a super light, delicious bit-size dessert. They don't last long either! Everyone I've made them for has loved them. A big bonus: they're REALLY easy!

2 8-ounce packages of cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
4 boxes Athens brand mini fillo (Phyllo) shells (found in frozen food section near the pie crust)

Beat cream cheese & powdered sugar until fluffy. Add pumpkin, spices, and cream. Beat until combined and refrigerate for at least an hour. When ready to eat, bake phyllo shells for 5 minutes at 350 degrees. These cool really fast. When cool, pipe filling into each "cup." About 1 1/2 Tbsp I would guess. This mixture makes about 60 cups exactly. I just use a ziploc bag with the corner snipped off to pipe. Makes it easy and it is disposable. This recipe halves easily for 30 which is perfect for a small crowd. Most people like to eat 2-3 so take that into consideration.


Note: I have never refrigerated these after being filled because I always fill them and then serve. And I have never had any leftover so I do not know how the crust fares being refrigerated afterward. If you have leftover filling, it stays good in the fridge for several days. Probably 3-5. It is a delicious filling for crepes! For crepes, I simply use 1/4 of a recipe if I am only feeding my own family. For others, I would do a half recipe of the filling. Hope you enjoy!