Monday, November 23, 2009

Mini Breakfast Pizzas or Muffin Cups

This recipe is adapted between two separate recipes I found. One recipe is from another great recipe blog, Taste the Joy, who got it from a Pillsbury cookbook. The other recipe is what I adapted our mini deep dish pizzas from. It is found here. These breakfast pizzas are fun, easy, and your kids can help. It's also a great little breakfast to make up quick and take around to the neighbors or to make when you have company. They'll love you for it!

You will need:
1 tube Flaky Layers biscuits (flaky layers biscuits just work best)
Scrambled eggs, cooked and flavored to you liking
Sausage (ground or links), chopped ham, or bacon
Shredded cheese
Muffin Pan

Cook eggs. We like scrambled. It's fun to add different things to it (peppers, onions, etc). But my kids are more plain-old-scrambled-eggs-with-salt-&-pepper kind of kids, so we kept it simple. Even though we put shredded cheese on top, I still like to add a bit of cheese to my eggs 'cuz I like me some CHEESE!!!

Cook desired meat. I prefer to use the sausage links and then cut them up. But we've used ground sausage and it works fine as well. Chopped ham (in small chunks) is wonderful in these little cups and as well as chopped bacon slices. If I'm feeling really energetic, I do a couple of each kind so people have a variety to choose from.

Grease muffin pan. Then carefully cut each biscuit in half.
Spread each biscuit half into the bottom and up the sides so there is a little well in the middle.Bake at 350 for about 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat and press the dough back up the sides and the bottom since they will puff up a tiny bit. (I didn't pre-cook them when I made them the first time (as you can see from the picture) but it is definitely something that makes a difference.)
Carefully spoon eggs, meat, and sprinkle with shredded cheese.Repeat until you've got as many "cups" as you'd like. As seen in the picture, I used 3 biscuits and made 6 pizzas. Then I use the remaining biscuits the same day for mini pizzas for a snack or quick lunch or dinner.

Bake at 350 for another 8-10 minutes or until edges of biscuit are lightly golden and cheese is melted. Carefully remove from muffin pan and cool for a couple of minutes on a rack.Serve with desired side dish... hashbrowns and orange juice are our favorites.

These store great in the fridge -if there are any left- and are so easy to reheat. My kids loved making these and we'll have to make them again.